[clug] [OT] EMI "copy control" on Linux

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Fri Feb 13 09:22:43 GMT 2004

    Sam> Martin Schwenke <martin at meltin.net> wrote:

    >> Note that this album didn't feature the "digital audio compact
    >> disc" logo, and had warnings about copy protection on the
    >> cover.  I didn't notice either of those things when I bought
    >> it.  :-(

    Sam> How prominent were these warnings? Did they say that the disc
    Sam> may not work in a CD player? Was the disc sold where CDs are
    Sam> usually sold?

A logo plus the words "COPY CONTROLLED", in combination, take up about
1/4 of the front of the spine!  On the back it says "Playback problems
may be encountered on some equipment".  Bought at JB HiFi in Adelaide.

    Sam> If it looks like a CD and walks like a CD, the consumer has
    Sam> the reasonable expectation that they're buying a CD. You may
    Sam> be able to get your money back on that basis.

Warnings are clear enough and, now that I've been bitten, I'll be more
careful in future.  I thought of taking it back (to the local JB HiFi
store), but I can listen to it "good enough" in most environments...
and it's an excellent album.

Obligatory Linux stuff: I started looking at rhythmbox today.  I'll
looks good...

peace & happiness,
martin