[clug] Help with Debian package management

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Fri Feb 13 05:44:57 GMT 2004

"Ian Petts" <ipetts at ozemail.com.au> writes:

>   trillian:~# update-alternatives --display mta

Install the 'equivs' package, and use that to generate an "empty" deb
which you can install to make it look like an MTA is installed.

> 2. On the same box I need to run tripwire. I note that it is not available
> in Woody stable, but I found a package for it on the Debian site in the
> unstable area. I do _not_ want to go to unstable or testing on this box,
> but am willing to install tripwire from unstable as it is the only version
> I can get. If I try and install this, I get a heap of errors:

The easiest option would be to use aide instead of tripwire.
Alternatively you can get the source (apt-get source tripwire, after
putting an unstable src url into /etc/apt/sources.list) to tripwire
and try and build it into a deb. You will not be able to circumvent
the dependencies of the binary package and while you can fetch those
packages from unstable, it's not recommended.

Cheers,
--
Damien Elmes