[clug] Help with Debian package management

Pietro Abate Pietro.Abate at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 13 05:40:32 GMT 2004

hi

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 03:25:48PM +1000, Ian Petts wrote:
> If I now go to install something that depends on an MTA, mutt for example
> (through "apt-get install mutt"), the package manager insists on
> installing exim as well. I don't want/need exim installed, I have to run
> the other MTA. How do I tell APT that its MTA requirement is satisfied,
> and to go ahead and install _only_ mutt? I thought this was taken care of
> through update-alternatives, however, this looks fine (to my untrained
> eye):
you can force the installation with dpkg using --force-depends or
install nullmailer and disable it (a piece of junk on your system, but
it should not harm anybody). you can also pass any option to dpkg
via apt, but I don't remember how...

> 2. On the same box I need to run tripwire. I note that it is not available
> in Woody stable, but I found a package for it on the Debian site in the
> unstable area. I do _not_ want to go to unstable or testing on this box,
> but am willing to install tripwire from unstable as it is the only version
> I can get. If I try and install this, I get a heap of errors:
Have a look at backports.org. the new tripwire should be avalaible for woody...

++ It is not doing the thing we like to do, but liking the
   thing we have to do, that makes life blessed. -- Goethe
++ Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.