[clug] sec: unclassified - Spam decode assistance

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Fri Feb 13 03:44:28 GMT 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:15:54PM -0500, Mark Paine wrote:
> Unless it is ROT-13 (haven't tried), I would guess all the garbage words
> are there to confuse Baysian (sp?) filters and other spam filters.  ie
> specific keywords relating to spam as a percentage of all words is far
> lower than it would be than if the garbage words are not there.  Other
> than that, no idea.

I've recieved emails that contain only this but it occurs to me that that
may be because I show the text/plain part of the email in preference to the
text/html part.

Anyway, surely the solution is for baysian filters to ignore words its never
seen before. Note, I still have to setup a bayesian filter so maybe this
already happens.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/