[clug] [OT] EMI "copy control" on Linux

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu Feb 12 23:00:50 GMT 2004

    Michael> Sam Varghese of the SMH writes about EMI's "copy control"
    Michael> technology, which renders CDs unplayable on Linux:

    Michael> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/12/1076548143941.html

I recently bought an EMI album (Van Morrison's "What's Wrong With This
Picture") that "features" copy protection.  At first I was really
annoyed, since it would only play the first 9 seconds of each song
under XMMS on Linux.  However, when I switched the "CD Audio Player"
plug-in to "Digital audio extraction" (DAE) mode, the CD played almost
perfectly - just a skip on one track.

Now, you would guess that if it plays almost cleanly in DAE mode, then
the copy protection must be next to useless...

This makes me happy... even though all I want to be able to do is play
my CDs while I work...

Note that this album didn't feature the "digital audio compact disc"
logo, and had warnings about copy protection on the cover.  I didn't
notice either of those things when I bought it.  :-(

peace & happiness,
martin