[clug] Dlink DSL-302G modem

Daniel Smith drs at dreamcraft.com.au
Tue Feb 10 02:22:35 GMT 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:15:25PM +1100 or thereabouts, Dennis M. Gray wrote:
> I recently purchased one of these for use on an ADSL line with a
> static IP address from my ISP in Sydney. The modem has a built-in
> web administrator, assigned to port 80. I want to be able to route
> packets coming in on the public IP address to a web server on my
> LAN. This is not a problem as I merely set up an NAT rule on the
> modem. The vendor's documentation specifies that the port number on
> the modem can be configured to be something other than 80. This is
> what I want to do (mainly because I want to be able to configure
> the modem remotely and need to use a diffent port for that
> service). Unfortunately, there is no option in the administration
> menu that allows me to specify the new port.
>
> I rang DLink in Sydney this morning and was told that the firmware
> for these modems is "customised" for ISPs and that I won't be able
> to do what I want. I would say the word should be "crippled" but I
> don't see myself getting anywhere with the vendor.
>
> Does anyone have any alternative solutions?

Return it for a refund, buy a Netcomm instead?

I just got one (NB1300, my Alcatel died during a thunderstorm).
The documentation is suprising useful and the device seems
to be well engineered. It supports SNMP and Multicast!

Failing that, run the D-Link in bridge only mode, and use netfilter/rp-pppoe
on a dual homed host to connect to your ISP.

Cheers,
Daniel