[clug] Printers for Linux

Edward C. Lang edlang at tsumakin.net
Sun Feb 8 05:41:05 GMT 2004

Hi,

Martin Pool said:
> On  8 Feb 2004, Pearl Louis <pearl.louis at anu.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if people here could give me some advice on which brand
>> should go for?  Epson?  Lexmark?  HP?  Canon?  The criteria I'm looking
>> at is
>> firstly it should be a company that is Linux friendly (this is not
>> idealogical - I just want a printer that's well supported).
>
> (I work for HP, but this is my personal opinion.)
>
> HP printers work very well under Linux.  The necessary software to
> talk to USB printers is MIT-style-licenced and plugs straight into
> CUPS.  On printers with flash slots you can directly mount the
> CF/MS/SD/etc stick from Linux as a scsi device.

Also, if you want to quickly and painlessly turn a printer into a
networked print server, HP JetDirect devices are great. Plug it in, turn
it on, press   a button to print a test page that lists its MAC address
and DHCP obtained IP address, point CUPS / LPD at port 9001 (or 9100?) on
that IP address, and    it's ready for business.

(No, I don't work for HP, but I really like how easy it was to set up.)

Regards,

Edward.

--

http://www.tsumakin.net/