[clug] mail server required

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Fri Feb 6 23:13:23 GMT 2004

Rousak, Boris wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>What do people use as a good Linux based mail server?
>
>1. Need remote POP3 access as well as
>2. Some sort of browser access to mail boxes - webmail type setup.
>3. Also ability to authenticate against LDAP (open or AD) would be good.
>4. And if it is well documented, well that would just make my day completely
>:)

Last year I set up a email server using some compaq proliants (x2) and
smart array disk storage.  We ended up running a modified RHSD (RH
Server Development Project) email server
(http://rhems.sourceforge.net/rhems.htm) .  At the time it used
everything you want although I think they changed their webmail from
horde/imp webmail to squirrelmail webmail.  We also need it to work
against LDAP and that was easy as except that we ended up writting (well
not me) some code to handle the specifics of our requirements.

We added openmosix (http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/) to the basket and
used heartbeat
(http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=heartbeat&section=projects) for failover

There are other bits and pieces but that is what I remember right now.

Cheers,
Simon