Streaming TransTV (was: RE: [clug] TransAct ISP)

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Thu Feb 5 10:21:18 GMT 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 01:08 am, Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:
> With all this talk, I was rubbing my hands with geekish glee - TransACT is
> being installed on Tuesday.

Mine is tomorrow.

> Just rang the installer and TransACT, and they're not issuing the i3 boxes
> at the moment, for exactly this issue.

That's odd. The reason they gave me is that the i3 boxes have 'software bugs'
in them and therefore aren't reliable. I was ready to dismiss this excuse out
of hand, but I recall that my bro in law had an i3 box for about a week but
had it swapped for a Motorola when it didn't work properly. Hmmm, I should
have a chat with Graham Hill who does TransACT's STB repairs and try to find
out what really goes wrong.

> you can still (currently) stream
> the TV, which means access to "premium" channels like Disney.

I understood that Disney was encoded so as to make it unviewable. True?

> They're not
> issuing i3 boxes any more until they fix the software to block this.

Well, we called TransACT who put us on to the installation company who had to
get back to TransACT to ask if it would be okay...

...and the upshot is that we have been promised an i3 Mood box.

I'll know by this time tomorrow whether that's true or not though. Over the
phone, it would be easy to get the impression that some people have no idea
what you're talking about.

Two interesting comments we had from the installer were:

"You're not getting Foxtel are you? Good."
"Okay, I hope it works."

Also, there's discussion of this whole thing and some HOWTO info over at the
whirlpool.net.au forums.

Cheers,
MC

--