Streaming TransTV (was: RE: [clug] TransAct ISP)

Francis James Whittle fudje at phreaker.net
Sun Feb 1 03:44:00 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 18:58 +1100, Chris Henman wrote:
> WRT the 'tangent'.
>
> could you please explain  how this works.  Apart from the 'route add
> ...' what else needs to be done?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris Henman

I'm not sure if this will make it any clearer, but...

Using a video player that supports RTP over UDP streaming (eg. VideoLAN,
Xine (FYI: Xine has stopped working for me for this recently), *not*
MPlayer (or at least not easily)), connect to 239.193.0.x on port 8208
for the video stream where x is the channel number of the wanted
channel, except for TransACT Information, which is on 239.193.0.5, or
Disney Channel, which is on 239.193.0.96.

This time as an example I'll use the syntax for launching the VideoLAN
client, which is the player most likely to work, as RTP over UDP is its
primary not only gimmick but function.  Assuming you have `vlc',
referring to the VideoLAN Client executable, installed in your path and
configured to work on your system (The general configuration it comes
with should do, but you may wish to tweak it), To get an ABC stream,
run:

vlc udp:@239.193.0.2:8208

Or, alternately, you can set up a playlist to access all parts of the
stream.  For convenience, I have attached one for the vlc player,
Channels are listed in sequential order as per on the STB.

Have fun!

--
Francis James Whittle
BSEng Student,