[clug] Wierd problem connecting to www.mozilla.org andwww.microsoft.com

Dale Shaw dale.shaw at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 07:47:52 GMT 2004

Without having a really good look at the packet trace, I'd be inclined
to think it probably has something to do with Path MTU Discovery/ICMP
blocking/PPP over Ethernet.

Do you access the Internet over a PPPoE session? Maybe you could give
us an overview of your connection arrangements. Look at lowering the
MTU on the 'hometheatre' box or using TCP Maximum Segment Size (MSS)
clamping.

There are also some weird ICMP redirect shenanigans going on. Is the
default gateway on 'hometheatre' set correctly? I can't see what the
redirections are, just that there are a few.

Anyway, the 3-way TCP handshake with www.microsoft.com is working, it
just barfs when it tries to HTTP GET the front page. My money's on
PPPoE/MTU and something in the path between you and the server dumping
ICMP "Fragment Needed but DF bit set" packets.

cheers,
Dale

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:45:44 +1100, Donovan J. Edye <donovan at edyeweb.com> wrote:
> B,
>
> Here is a dump of the conversation with www.microsoft.com. A few SMB packets
> that should not have been included. However it appears that the problems
> start around frame 10. Any pointers appreciated:

[...]