[clug] Wierd problem connecting to www.mozilla.org and www.microsoft.com

Donovan J. Edye donovan at edyeweb.com
Tue Dec 14 10:32:53 GMT 2004

G'Day,

I apologise if this appears to be a Windoze based question, but I have
posted on Usenet and have only got replies like re-install. I have a:

- Via EPIA-M C3 1.0A with BIOS 1.16
- I install Windows XP (incl SP1a) [Tried two different media sets] (And
whether I add SP2 on top of that makes no difference)

I run up IE / Mozilla (Copied from another box) and attempt to connect to
www.intel.com. No problems and the web site comes up. However if I attempt
to connect to www.mozilla.org or www.microsoft.com then nothing happens (I
don't even think that the HTTP request gets sent) and IE returns "Cannot
Load Page" and Mozilla returns "Document Contains No Data". I have scanned
the machine for viruses, checked the hosts file and checked that I don't
have spyware. Doing telnet connections as follows:

Intel

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:35:34 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
P3P: CP="CAO DSP COR CURa ADMa DEVa TAIa PSAa PSDa OUR STP ONL UNI COM NAV
INT D
EM STA PRE"

MS

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:37:21 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
P3P: CP="ALL IND DSP COR ADM CONo CUR CUSo IVAo IVDo PSA PSD TAI TELo OUR
SAMo C
NT COM INT NAV ONL PHY PRE PUR UNI"

Mozilla

HTTP/1.1 200 OK