[clug] MUTT

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 8 15:39:41 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:07:24PM +1100, davidhornby wrote:
> > What you can definitely do, by using a send hook, is convince mutt to
> > alter your signature when posting to the CLUG list. I'd reccommend
> > removing a certain 4 characters that I'm sure would result in you
> > becoming much more popular
>
> I'm sorry I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not into this
> high level jargon. What's MUTT and what has it got to do with an Opera
> email which as far as I know goes through like any other email.

Mutt is an email client, and the issue is that the emails coming out
of Opera M2, without hand-checking, contain a standard signature
delimiter (dash dash space newline) at the start of the client
advertisement that is placed before the writer's text.

Mutt marks any text below the standard signature delimiter as
a signature, and lowlights it. I'm used to this, and visually
skip the signature contents on first scan, leading to the impression
in my head that a reply has been sent to an email, but without
any text in it.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.