[clug] Re: linux Digest, Vol 24, Issue 1

Tomkins Michael Fancourt m.tomkins at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed Dec 1 23:07:26 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----

> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:32:45 +1100
> From: Fergus McKenzie-Kay <fergusm at gmail.com>
> Subject: [clug] Powerbook G4
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
>
> Hey Guys,
> I'm looking into a nice shiny Powerbook G4.. not
really sure about the
> size yet.  Does anyone in Canberra have a nice
linux setup on one of
> the new powerbooks?

No but have dual boot gentoo linux on a 867 TiBook,
stuff I do know.

Wireless will never work (until the maker of the
airport extreme card releases details) Most linux
users get around this with a USB dongel as the 12"
doesn't have a PCMIA slot.

NVidia has no drivers for Mac Linux, did you wonder
why almost all models use ATI? No 3D rendering, no
Open GL, no video mirroring and difficult Xorg setup
in linux. So the 12" PB may not be the best choice.
NVidia's Linux drivers are hardware dependant and
don't work on PPC.

I have concluded that the superdrive was a bad
purchase since 1 it does not do DVD-RW or DVD+R and
2 its limited to 2X (now 4X). Buy a firewire
external if you wish to burn, it'll save you about
$100 and get you DVD+-RW, possibly dual layer and 8X
at least.

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:10:51 +1100
> From: Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [clug] Powerbook G4
>
> On 1 Dec 2004, at 09:32, Fergus McKenzie-Kay wrote:
>
> > I'm looking into a nice shiny Powerbook G4.. not
really sure
> about the
> > size yet.
>
> Two features that the 12" doesn't have - no
backlit keyboard (so
> you
> have to type blind during those late night hacking
sessions) and no
> PC
> Card slot.

Tick

> > btw.. on a similar vain are there any knoppix
style disks for ppc?

> IIRC, the Debian-Installer has a PPC version. Not
quite a live CD,
> but
> should be enough to get you started. If you do
find a PPC live CD,
> let
> me/us know - I'd like to experiment with Linux on
this machine
> sometime
> (after I've finished my Samba/LDAP notes, of course ;)
>
> Alex

Gentoo has a live CD for PPC. Not sure Xorg is fully
supported in latest liveCD's because of poor linux
support for PPC hardware / graphics cards. The older
ones will startup Xfree on my 867 TiBook which is
quite impressive from CD.

Michael F. Tomkins                  C code
m.tomkins at student canberra edu au C code run
University of Canberra, Australia.  Run code run