[clug] Server Hosting

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Aug 28 14:00:01 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 11:10, Edgecombe, Scott wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A couple of friends and I are looking to set up a server so we can share
> source and doco with each other over the internet for a distributed
> development project.
>
> Two of us are based in rural areas (Murrumbateman and Michelago) and we
> are looking for options to either host a server ourselves or put a
> server on an ISP's site. The server will only be accessed by 4 to 6
> people, we don't need a domain but a fixed IP is necessary as well as
> access to the box for backup. We will supply the server. I know e-Smith
> best and will use it as the OS rather than Debian or Fedora with Webmin.
>
> Does anyone in the CLUG have experience with this sort of thing? Can
> anyone suggest a reliable local ISP who likes Linux? Is it possible to
> do this on a tight budget?

Possibly depends on what you mean by 'tight budget', but if it is anything
like my definition, then I think the answer is 'no', unless you happen to be
good friends with the owner of a local ISP.

If you really want your own server, I would suggest looking at one of the
User-Mode-Linux Virtual Server hosting options.

A list of possible vendors is available at http://usermodelinux.org/
modules.php?name=News&file=categories&op=newindex&catid=12
(See the old articles too.)  There may be other vendors - if you find a more
definitive list I'd be interested.

I'm currently using Linode.com, but there are cheaper options.  IIRC the
cheapest deals start at around US$10 per month.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox