[clug] [PMX:#] Sendmail config - PLEASE help!!

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Fri Aug 27 06:57:04 GMT 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 03:48:15PM +1000, Andrew Smith wrote:
> Otherwise, check /etc/hosts and perhaps change the order for hosts against 127.0.0.1 to "127.0.0.1 nagios_server.industry.gov.au
> localhost localhost.localdomain"

Err, don't try that. Certain programs (apache included) will try to do
a lookup against your hostname to find your primary IP address. Having
a program think 127.0.0.1 is your IP can cause "issues" when they try
to communicate elsewhere.

You have a primary IP and /etc/hostname, make sure your hosts file
represents that.

Other that that I'd recommend a mailserver other than sendmail :)
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/