[clug] [PMX:#] Sendmail config - PLEASE help!!

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Fri Aug 27 06:06:46 GMT 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 03:13:29PM +1000, Collins, Steve wrote:
> I have a server which knows it's name:
>
> [root at nagios_server mail]# hostname
> nagios_server.industry.gov.au
>
> Yet everything coming out of sendmail sends as, for example, nagios at localhost.localdomain.
>
> What I'd like to do is have mail come out as someuser at industry.gov.au.  Any change I make to sendmail doesn't seem to have any affect.  I've set the DM/CM config on the box to cover all of the variants I can think of:
>
> DMindustry.gov.au
> CMlocalhost
> CMlocalhost.localdomain
> CMnagios_server.industry.gov.au
>
> Nothing seems to make any difference.
>
> Any advice MORE than welcome at this (frustrated) point.

So you want all unqualified outbound mail to appear as if it's from
industry.gov.au. That's masquerading, and I would have thought the DM would
do it, but I haven't actually fiddled with a sendmail.cf file directly in
years. m4 is good like that.

According to
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/masquerading_relaying.html#MASQUERADE_AS

the m4 directive to play with is MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`industry.gov.au'), which
I dare say results in a DM line. Let's test it...

Well, it actually results in
C{M}industry.gov.au

I'm wondering if the {} is significant? I presume you've restarted Sendmail
for good measure?

regards

Andrew