[clug] [wanted] - Dvorak Keyboard

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 19 07:53:04 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 14:29, Joel Plane wrote:
> Thanks guys.
> I wanted a hardwired one because not all apps (in windows) read the
> character map. - that is, when you hit 'o' it sends 'o' to the OS and
> not 's' - so the OS thinks your using the QWERTY layout.
> Thanks for the links. I'll check them out soon.

I think people are missing the point that I'm trying to raise.

Keyboards don't talk in terms of "o" or "s", they talk in terms of
scancodes.

Having a DVORAK keyboard that works perfectly with software meant for
QWERTY is like swapping your street numbers with the person who keeps
getting your mail by mistake. The solution is to take a big wrench and
smack out the person who keeps sending mail to the wrong place.

Admittedly wrenches seldom work against Windows programmers, so a broken
keyboard might be the only option. Nevertheless don't think that the
"proper" hardwired keyboards you are talking about are somehow more
correct than one that requires a different keymap - it is the one which
simply has different stickers that is the correct one since it
implements the standard scancodes. It is your software that is crap.

> Joel.

Have fun,
Darren