[clug] Python/Zope/CMF/Plone

Tomasz Ciolek tmc at dreamcraft.com.au
Thu Aug 12 09:52:12 GMT 2004

 I had some problems with getting plone to work under Debian/testing. It
 complains about number of arguments to a function... has anyone managed
 to get it going under using Debina Testing packages? I suspect i missed
 something simple somewhere in the setup process...

 Tomasz

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 07:24:33PM +1000, Gough, Chris wrote:
> > George Bray wrote (on 12 August 2004 1:43 pm)
> >
> > Gday cluggers.
> Hi there George
>
> <snip>
> > I don't know much about Python but it looks very "objecty" which is
> > good, however it seems its internal database isn't as easy to work with
> > as, say, MySQL. Guess I'm having trouble thinking different here.
>
> There is no "internal database" in python, just native collection types:
> lists (arrays), tupples (immutable arrays), and dictionaries (associative
> arrays). There are python modules for connecting to all kinds of databases
> (like every other scripting language I have used). Most uses of python are
> outside Zope - it's a popular language in it's own right.
>
> I think you are referring to ZODB (Z Object Data Base), which is the
> persistence mechanism for ZOPE. It's a ZOPE thing, not a python thing. From
> a python script, a ZODB looks like a dictionary, and there are various back
> ends for it (file system or RDBMS). I've never used Plone, but from the Zope
> perspective web requests translate into method calls (which are themselves
> objects, like everything else). The objects persist in the ZODB (behind
> Zope).
>
> These methods _can_ execute arbitrary python code, including talk to any
> database, but to enjoy using Zope you really have to embrace the Zope way of
> doing things - thinking in terms of web requests that execute scripts that
> communicate with a database doesn't help. ZODB suffers from the same problem
> as every object database - It's fine while you are chasing references about
> the place from object to object, but it's hard to look at sets in arbitrary
> ways like you can with a relational database.
>
> My (limited) experience with Zope is that if you can see an easy way with to
> do it, then it's very, very easy. When i can't see the Zopeish way to do it,
> i think probably would still be easy if only i could think the right way.
> Perhaps the biggest drawback with Zope might be finding good a mentor /
> subcontractors.
>
> Chris Gough

>  This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also privileged.
> If you are not the intended recipient:
> Please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission along
> with any attachments immediately.
> You should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to
> any other person.

Tomasz M. Ciolek
 tmc at dreamcraft dot com dot au