[clug] Possible bug with rsync, or me

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Aug 11 03:47:24 GMT 2004

Steven Hanley wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 07:15:03PM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
>
>>Hey all,
>>
>>I'm running several boxes, which are all running rsync 2.6.2 from debian
>>unstable. They used to quite happily sync between each other using ssh
>>and a command line like:
>>
>>rsync -rcv --delete $item/ stillhq at dubai.stillhq.com:public_html/$item/
>>
>>It used to work fine, but now I get:
>>
>>building file list ... rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092
>>bytes: phase "send_file_entry": Broken pipe
>>rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(839)
>>
>>Which makes me sad. Googling seems to imply that I might be dealing with
>>a bug in rsync, but I am more inclined to believe that my own firmware
>>is buggy, and that I need rebooting.
>>
>>Does anyone have any hints?
>
> I saw a whole heap of errors like that last week when I had been trying to
> rsync off a machine I had accidentally givcen the same ip as another one on
> the network.

deathstar:/home/httpd/html# host dubai
host dubai.stillhq.com has address 172.31.0.200
deathstar:/home/httpd/html# host deathstar
deathstar.stillhq.com has address 172.31.0.65
deathstar:/home/httpd/html#

That doesn't appear to be my problem... ssh works between the hosts, and
as best as I can determine the only piece of configuration which has
changed is the rsync upgrade -- I haven't changed my script at all.

> send_file_entry and error at line 839 of io.c are both familiar, dont know
> about the rest.

Any more hints?

Mikal

--