[clug] DNS server to always give same IP address

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 10 22:41:11 GMT 2004

Yeah, what about a transparent proxy?

On 2004 Aug 11, , at 7:52 AM, Brett Worth wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:05:44PM +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:
>> On 10 Aug 2004, at 18:05, Sam Couter wrote:
>>
>>> What about an HTTP proxy with appropriately configured redirect
>>> rules?
>>>
>>> Google keyword suggestions: captive portal
>
> I've been ignoring the beginning of this conversation so please excuse
> me
> if this has been said:
>
> I think the way the wireless "pay for use" access works is by just
> having
> the default gateway filter rules redirect all port 80 packets to a web
> server which masquerades are the target host and block all other
> packets
> until you're paid up.  The DNS always tells the truth.
>
> --
> Brett
> --

Kim Holburn
IT Manager, Canberra Research Laboratory
National Information and Communication Technology Australia
Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request
Cacert Root Cert: http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=16 ->
http://www.cacert.org/cacert.crt
Aust. Spam Act: To stop receiving mail from me: reply and let me know.

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961