[clug] DNS server to always give same IP address

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Tue Aug 10 13:21:38 GMT 2004

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> A much more sensible way of achieving the "you must pay me money to use
> my gateway" aim, since resolving all DNS queries to one IP address will
> result in client's DNS lookup caches being filled with lies.

You could always send a TTL of approximately zero with any of the dud
DNS replies. I'm not sure how real-world DNS caches deal with really low
TTL values, so it may just cause more hard to diagnose problems.

Some people (me, for example) won't even use the ISPs DNS servers, and
run their own DNS server that talks directly to the root servers.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org