[clug] SCP from Windows to Linux incredibly slow

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Sun Aug 8 11:54:07 GMT 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:31:33AM +1000, Paul Wayper wrote:
> Caller number ten on the help line asks:

> I'm trying to copy some files from my Windows 2000 machine (tangram) to my
> Fedora Core 2 machine (ludos) via SCP.  I'm using both pscp (of the PuTTY
> family) and WinSCP; both are incredibly slow - in the order of bytes per
> second.  The two machines are on 100Mbit network cards, both mostly idle
> (except for distributed.net, which I have tried stopping to no effect).  A
> copy in the other direction - dragging a file from ludos to tangram - goes
> at 350KB/sec - much faster than the direction I want yet still much slower
> than the theoretical peak network speed.

> Any ideas?  About the only other thing I can think of that might be causing
> any problems is that I'm sharing some of my own music mixes by
> BitTorrent.  I've tried turning this off, too, also to no effect.

I never tried pscp, but I used to have incredible slowness using WinSCP
around my LAN. In the end I just made Samba work and forgot about it...

I don't remember it being asynchronosly slow, mind you... I always
blamed it on hard disk access speed on my windows box.

Have you tried in sftp mode as well as scp? There's also a commercial
product SecureFTP, from the people who make SecureCRT, which you can
try for comparison.

For LAN-based stuff though, I prefer FTP since my machines are slow
enough that ftp _has_ a speed advantage compared to scp, but I can
still move megabits/s using scp linux->linux when I do it.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.