[clug] CUPS printing - wrong tabs?

Rousak, Boris Boris.Rousak at actewagl.com.au
Fri Aug 6 00:20:30 GMT 2004

Greetings all,

I am trying to configure CUPS server on a redhat (kernel 2.4.20-18.7).
Assume very little previous CUPS knowledge :). The problem I am
encountering is as follows, any time I try to print a simple text file
(created with vi) from the command line using
/usr/bin/lp.cups -d my_printer /home/me/my_text_file
it comes out on the printer with really weird tabbing, i.e.

Some text here.
					More text here

							Last bit of text
cu

Even though in the text file, the lines are directly below each other in
the original text file. However if I user a program a2ps on the file and
then print the output, the file comes out fine. This led me to think
that it must be the texttops filter specified in the
/etc/cups/mime.convs that is stuffing me up, so I went in there and
modified the line:
Text/plain	application/postscript	33	texttops
Text/plain	application/postscript	33	a2ps

Then I tried changing a2ps to cupsomatic, then I tried writing a script
that calls a2ps like this
a2ps --pretty-print=plain $6
and substituting the script name into the mime.convs but all to no
avail.

So can anyone tell me how can I call a2ps from within cups
automatically, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely. Also any
pointers, similar experiences, or at all would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Boris

*PLEASE NOTE*  This email and any attachments may
be confidential. If received in error, please delete all
copies and advise the sender. The reproduction or
dissemination of this email or its attachments is
prohibited without the consent of the sender.

WARNING RE VIRUSES:  Our computer systems sweep
outgoing email to guard against viruses, but no warranty
is given that this email or its attachments are virus free.
Before opening or using attachments, please check for
viruses.  Our liability is limited to the re-supply of any
affected attachments.

individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views of the
organisation.