[clug] Comparing machines

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Aug 3 14:38:23 GMT 2004

On 3 Aug 2004, at 23:05, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two machines which should be almost but not quite identical.
> What I would like to do is have some kind of diff between the two.

Mount one machine's "root" filesystem as /mnt/machine1 on a Knoppix CD,
rsync/scp/tarball/cdimage the other into /mnt/machine2, then do a diff
-ur on the resulting file systems?

This way you get to compare "inactive" (or sessile?) file systems.

Alex Satrapa                               LPO 5010
Software Engineer               Canberra University
Mobile: +61 4 0770 5332            Bruce, ACT, 2617
ICQ:5691434                Jabber:Bunyip at jabber.com