[clug] ISP questions again

Brian Morris brian at netspeed.com.au
Mon Apr 26 12:03:23 GMT 2004

Steven,

This doesnt look right at all.

Hop 1, the one you quoted,  is simply the hop from your set top box to the
Transact ERX - that is the gizmo that takes ALL of the DSL connections from
everyone and aggregates them all together before passing them off to the
ISP's (hops 2 and 3).

Hops 2, 3, and possibly 4 go through the NetSpeed network then out to the
outside world and you said these are fine.

If your poor pings start at hop 1 it means that your TransACT link is
congested, or some possible fault.  It has NOTHING to do with the ISP.
Changing ISP's will not fix Hop 1 and you have already said that the rest of
the hops are fine.

I hope that this helps to track down the problem.

Regards,

Brian Morris
Manager,
NetSpeed.