[clug] Dual PPPoE Links

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Tue Apr 20 21:51:30 GMT 2004

Jepri <jepri at webone.com.au> wrote:
> N o configuration as such, but this is pretty easy.

Only if you don't fully understand IP. I can see that you've never
actually done this. :)

> First, connect with one pppoe link and get your masquerading  working
> correctly.  Then, bring up your second link.  Look at the IP address you
> were assigned, and edit the apache  config file to bind to that IP.  I
> think the apache directive is 'bind', not too sure.

Then you have to sort out which link the return packets for HTTP
requests are going to go through. IP is routed according to destination
address, so your box is going to sent HTTP return packets out the same
link as the outgoing masqueraded traffic. One link is going to be
incoming HTTP requests only (and hence severely underutilized), the
other is going to be all your masqueraded traffic *and* the web pages
you're serving up.

In addition, you've configured what's called asymmetric routing. You'll
have to fiddle with the IP spoofing settings in /proc to make the kernel
accept packets on an interface that it doesn't plan on routing the
replies through. And if your two PPPoE links aren't from the same
provider (and maybe even if they are), you'll have to convince your
upstreams to also allow these packets with funny source addresses
through.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org