[clug] cdrom and groups

David Deaves David.Deaves at dd.id.au
Tue Apr 20 15:01:08 GMT 2004

> Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
>                 /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
>                 No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device
> /dev/scd0

.....snip.....

> Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
>                 /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
>                 generic device: /dev/sg0
>                 ioctl device: /dev/scd0
>
> Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
> Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
>         SG interface version 3.1.25; OK.

The clue is in these messages, it appears that cdparanoia uses
the 'sg' interface to raw read SCSI cdroms.  And you don't have
access to /dev/sg0.

You can mod the permissions on /dev/sg0, but be aware there are
some security implications to that, I believe that this will
allow someone to craft their own SCSI packets to any other device
on the same bus (maybe even more).

Dave !

--
David Deaves	<David.Deaves at dd.id.au>		+61 413 003 552
"Luck is the residue of design"   -   Branch Rickey