[clug] [OT] spam-bot killer

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 13 01:44:08 GMT 2004

I used a perl cgi script called wpoison which did the same sort of
thing.  I'm not sure how useful it is.  If a spambot gets stuck forever
on a page, which happened occasionally then the operator would ban the
page.  Better is a robots.txt enforcer.  Once an IP has read robots.txt
it is banned if it goes where robots.txt said not to.  Most spambots
read robots.txt to find where you don't want them to go, then go there.

Simplest of all is to use the html code for "@"  which is @  AFAIR.
  There was a study done a year ago or so that showed that spambots
never decode even the simplest email obfuscation on web pages.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Manager, Canberra Research Laboratory

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
      Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)