[clug] USB memory stick

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Mon Apr 12 02:44:25 GMT 2004

I have just been given a USB 'keychain' style flash memory beastie. It's a
no-name thing with "Standard and Poor's" printed on its outside. I'd like to
use it on a machine running Debian unstable and kernel 2.4.22

USB in general is working on this machine; my digital camera can be mounted as
a USB block storage device and files may be copied from it.

When I connect the memory stick, dmesg shows that it has been seen, but it
throws an error:

hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address xx
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=xx (error=-110)

where xx is a decimal number that increments by 1 each time I reconnect the
stick. With the stick attached, the contents of   /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/1
look like:

Host scsi1: usb-storage
       Vendor: Unknown
      Product: Generic USB Disk Device
Serial Number: GENERIC USB DISK DEVICE????????
     Protocol: 8070i
    Transport: Bulk
         GUID: 10d61000e9dff2ce88888888
     Attached: No

Needless to say, I can't mount or use the stick. I have Googled and read Nico
Sauer's USB flash memory howto, but the answer eludes me there.

Can someone suggest a web reference I should be reading or offer any
suggestions for using the stick?

Thanks,
MC

--