[clug] Against US-AU FTA Intellectual Property Clauses

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Fri Apr 9 16:03:52 GMT 2004

Darren Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 14:23, Jepri wrote:
>>Darren Freeman wrote:
> In particular, if reverse engineering is performed for security but the
> reverse engineer didn't ask permission or was denied permission, they're
> still toast. 17.4.7.e.ii.

I cheer on the efforts of companies to crush anyone who is misguided
enough to perform free security analysis for a business.  If Microfost
and friends kick these people hard enough, they might switch to
analysing the security flaws in Linux, which will result in a more
stable, secure Linux for me.

I would be quite happy to see this escape clause removed entirely.  Why
are these researchers like Felten wasting government money doing free
work for corporations anyway?

<many other good points by Darren snipped>

> It's a matter of oppinion as to whether nobody cares about it. And I
> think I'm close enough in my post to have gotten the point across. You
> didn't disagree with the other 90% of what I said, although I invite you
> to if you like...

Well, here goes.  I support copyright laws.  I am not a corporate drone.

I am probably one of the few people on the list who has actually issued
a Cease & Desist against a company using my work unfairly, and made them
stop.  Just occaisionally, these evil, unfair, twisted, unnatural,
perverted, American laws actually really do help individual developers.

I am sympathetic to your position, but draconian DMCA-style laws might
be a good thing.  The harder the RIAA makes it to listen to their songs,
the more likely that people will go listen to an alternative band.

The more the MPAA cracks down on people, the more likely we won't bother
with their products, and they'll collapse.  Local productions will
flourish.  Local culture will be appreciated once more.  And best of
all, they're doing it to themselves.

Long live the DMCA?

 >>Aaagh!  The sky is falling!  Aaagh!  Aaagh!  ASIO is reading my mail
 >>because only I know the truth!  Aaagh aaagh aagh!  My toes are plotting
 >>to kill me while I'm asleep!
 >
 > Now that's just plain rude, dude. Say it to my face.

My bad.  It was supposed to be humour.  I'll include some smileys next
time.  I don't seriously think you are in tinfoil beanie land, but I do
think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.