[clug] Browsers executing commands

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Sun Apr 4 16:58:11 GMT 2004

Francis James Whittle wrote:
> This is a tricky one.
>
> Basically, what it reads like you want to do is not part of any standard
> specified web protocol.  It is, on the other hand, possible with
> gnomevfs (and probably kio for KDE people).  A mini webserver won't help

Well, it'll help if the client is running both the browser and the
webserver, but it isn't what I'd call an elegant solution.

> you, because you're talking client-side stuff.  It's certainly not
> possible to do this kind of thing from mozilla or any other mainstream
> web browser, excepting crappy ones like IE who can only do it by
> accident with embedded metadata and the suchlike.

Scarily enough, KDE will ask you in a dialogue to run an executable
linked to (with a href) on your local filesystem.  That's 90% of what I
was looking for.

Now that you mention it, I could try using the Moz API, if I were ever
able to figure it out.

> If you can explain in more detail what you want to do and why, it might
> be possible to suggest a solution that matches our needs, or suggest an
> alternative solution (more likely).

Effectively, I would like to use HTML as a widget toolkit.  Why HTML and
not native Gtk or Qt?  Because HTML is very friendly to script-generated
content.  There are lots of templating systems for HTML, and none at all
for Qt/Gtk.

The use I want to put this to is to have a script library, complete with
descriptions and categories.  So I can browse my way through the
categories to the script I need, read the description and then if it is
what I want, click on the 'runme' link and have it run.

As I mention above, KDE will run a script, but without args, which means
I would have to write a "kick-off" script for every situation.  Sigh.
Weren't computers meant to make life easier?