[clug] Browsers executing commands

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Sun Apr 4 12:46:52 GMT 2004

I've been wanting to put together a couple of HTML pages that embed
useful shell commands and other programs for me.  Ideally, I'd like to
be able to activate them with a click.  Effectively, I want URIs like
'<a href="shell://balsa">Mail client</a>'.

And before anyone mentions it, I do appreciate the problem with someone
tricking me into clicking on '<a href="shell://rm -rf ~/">'.

Is there a partway solution?  I'm hoping to not have to embed GtkHTML or
Konqueror if I can avoid it.

ATM I'm thinking of starting a mini-webserver and working it that way,
but it seems a bit of overkill.

References to other similar projects would also be appreciated.

Jepri