[clug] How to know when you're winning

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Thu Apr 1 12:40:09 GMT 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:09:05PM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:

> I heard it remarked "well, what's the point of all this FOSS community work? I
> don't think we're even winning?". The said remarker was talking about lack of
> community involvement, but I thought I'd pass on a sign that we are winning.
>
> My company (well, my co-director, who has a strange fondness for Grays Online
> auctions) recently bought a Dell P4 desktop box (for the label freaks -
> SX270, its i865 based). One of the things I thought was a bit curious when I
> unpacked the box was a printed copy of the GPL. Turns out Dell is selling
> some of their systems without Windows. The box I got had a copy of FreeDOS.
> I've naturally installed Linux (and if someone knows how to get it to work a
> 1024x768x24 I'd like to talk to you), but the message is clear.

Yeah a whole lot of our dells were shipped with FreeDos also (the older
machines we bought over a year ago)

As for the GX270, we have something like 80 of them in 4 labs and 30 of them
on staff desktops (or some similar number) running linux on all of them with
1280x1024 on 17" LCD panels. (natural resolution of the panel)

So I guess you cvould come chat to Bob or I and we can point out how we did
it.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://svana.org/sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view