[clug] Decent video cards

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Tue Sep 30 21:16:47 EST 2003

Brad Hards <bhards at bigpond.net.au> writes:

> I'm going to shell over some hard-earned to Cougar for a new workstation. I'm
> pretty happy with what I want, except I don't know how to choose a video
> card.

I don't have any dual head recommendations, other than the fact that I
used to use it on a G400, and found it fun, but not very useful - I
found myself constantly moving my head to see if there'd been action
on the other screen. These days I've got my computer set up to alert
me (via OSD, changes in the emacs modeline, etc), when things need my
attention, and buttons to quickly jump to the action and back. Saves
my poor neck. :-)

Anyway, my original reason for responding was just that you mentioned
Cougar. They used to be quite competitive, but their prices could be
described as "gouging" these days. Have you considered any other
local providers, or ordering from interstate? I can't justify
50-200$ extra markup on sub $1k gear, no matter how convenient it
is.

Cheers,
--
Damien Elmes