[clug] CLUG meeting 25 September 2003

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sun Sep 28 23:04:03 EST 2003

Sam Couter wrote:
> I use Java Swing, no GUI builder tools, and I can build a GUI as quick
> as I can using Visual Basic, with far less frustration and end up with
> a better-behaved program. GUI programming without a GUI builder isn't
> hard with a decent toolkit.

Ah.  Similar to what I discovered recently - that writing SQL is
actually much easier without a GUI designer (provided you have syntax
highlighting and/or tab completion etc) since you are not constrained by
the limitations of the visual representation that the GUI's author has
chosen. [1]

Thank you very much for this post.  Despite my similar experience with
SQL, I was only just beginning to wonder if my search for a good GUI
designer was misplaced.  A imagine that a good IDE (with syntax
highlighting, debugging etc) is still highly desirable though.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

[1] This may of course vary from person to person.  I personally think
in abstract (majored in Algebra at Uni) but someone who thinks in a more
visual/concrete fashion may be better of with a GUI designer.