[clug] CLUG meeting 25 September 2003

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Sat Sep 27 23:02:16 EST 2003

Matthew Hawkins <matt at mh.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
> [ ... ] you're constantly being benchmarked
> against stuff like Visual Studio.  Some project managers don't understand
> they're comparing apples and oranges when seeing it takes a VB.NET
> programmer 30 minutes to come up with a prototype GUI app and it takes you
> 2.5 hours with your trusty Vim and Google ;)  As fast as I do type,
> there's no way I can compete with software designed to do my task much
> faster than I can [ ... ]

Since I'm now a professional GUI programmer (Ugh..) I think I can quite
safely say several things:

1) GUI design should already be done before the programmer gets his
hands on the project (Ha! Like that'll ever happen!).

2) Building and implementing the GUI itself is almost insignificant
compared with the other work you have to do to build a non-trivial
program.

I use Java Swing, no GUI builder tools, and I can build a GUI as quick
as I can using Visual Basic, with far less frustration and end up with
a better-behaved program. GUI programming without a GUI builder isn't
hard with a decent toolkit.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org