[clug] interesting tidbit on sco using GPLd code

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Thu Sep 25 16:01:17 EST 2003

All

I just noticed this in the letters to the editor section of the September
18th LWN edition (last weeks so it is freely available on http://lwn.net).

Leon Brooks (Perth guy, on LA committee, etc) pointed out this in a response
he wrote to some MS person about some interview they had done that was full
of holes.

====
Worse than that, practically all of UnixWare's latest drivers are
version-number and spelling-error compatible with the drivers shipped
in SuSE's Enterprise Linux 8, so it looks very much like The SCO Group
have been stealing Linux code only available through the GPL.
====

I had not heard this previously (does anyone know who noticed/discovered
this? (strings on unixware or something I suppose)).

Interesting to see they are using GPL'd drivers as closed source in
unixware, not that I am surprised.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://svana.org/sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view