[clug] Sitar@home; Indirectly targeting veri greedy people

Antony Wuth ajw at pobox.com
Thu Sep 25 13:03:36 EST 2003

Michael.James at csiro.au (Michael.James at csiro.au) wrote:

> I'm wondering if now might be a good time
>  to scan and map out ALL domains in .com.
> Up to 50 letters long.

> Pick a random string, resolve and lightly scan it,
>  not enough to send byte counts crazy,
>  or annoy an ISP or any real recipient.
> Sleep lightly, pick another, scan again.

Or just quietly retrieve the /robots.txt quite a legitimate activity for
an automated robot to perform yes it may annoy someone who for example
is resolving billions of domains that don't really exist.

Of course since I apt-get'ed the latest bind update the problem has
mysteriously vanished...

Antony