[clug] Tools for merging filesets

Michael.James at csiro.au Michael.James at csiro.au
Wed Sep 24 15:21:34 EST 2003

What tools exist for merging files from differing directory trees?

This problem could come up when merging
 a development branch back into a software project.

In my case it's merging the /etc/** files from an old server
 back onto a newly installed (upgraded) system.

Something like:

	diff -r | multi-column-merge-tool

		same stuff in both files
	version 1			version 2
		back to agreeing again

 It puts the differing paragraphs side by side
 and lets me chose (or overtype) the version I want.

Be even better if it had hidden meta-files like:
/etc/opt/kde3/.cvs-meta: Ignore anything in here

It's a common situation, what tools do people use?

Michael James				michael.james at csiro.au
System Administrator			voice:	02 6246 5040
CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility	fax:		02 6246 5166