[clug] Strange email messages

Nemo -earth native- nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Sep 24 00:22:51 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:14:19PM +1000, Jim Watson did utter:
> I am getting these too, it sounds like "W32/Swen.A" or "W32/Gibe.F". see
> www.cert.org and you can get it just from being in a mailing list.
>
> I suppose these could be filtered easily enough but the real problem is the
> data has already passed the ISP and has to be paid for. Does anyone know a
> way to block these without paying? I have searched around but find nothing
> except how to clean the infected win machines. Many of these eamils carry a
> 142k attachment.

Convince your ISP to filter emails with .exe (and other windows
executable types) attachments at the mailserver end.

We (Goldweb) do and have done so for at least a year with easily more
compliments than complaints. It's not hard to put a very legitimate case
forward that you will NOT EVER get any .exe attachments in email that
you want, and therefore are quite happy for them to be automatically
filtered for you. It's a much harder case to convince this policy to be
implemented though... but it can't hurt to ask, right? Afterall, there is
precedent. :-)

.../Nemo