[clug] ALPHA machines??

Stephen Jenkin sjenkin at pcug.org.au
Mon Sep 22 06:44:25 EST 2003

HP produces PA/RISC CPU's.  [PA == 'Precision Architecture']

I know in 1996 there were regular newspaper articles about HP & Intel
co-producing the 'IA64'.  HP was contributing it's RISC expertise, Intel
their production & process.  HP was to replace it's Unix servers with
IA64.  Probably started 94/95. Was it supposed to deliver 98/99??  Seem to
remember it ran over by a very long time...  HP has had to modify its
roadmap & produce faster PA/RISC versions.

I've not followed the performance of the IA64 - pretty average 32-bit &
integer performance I believe [for 500W+ ??]

There was a paper at AUUG in the early or mid 90's about the _string_
handling performance of a Cray X/MP.  It ran about as fast as a VAX 11/780
[a contemporary system].  This was a machine bought at Bell Labs & shared
by a number of groups.  Flops =/= useful performance...

Hope this ramble was useful :-)

Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)
PO Box 48, Kippax ACT 2615, AUSTRALIA