[clug] ALPHA machines??

Simon Fowler simon at private.himi.org
Fri Sep 19 09:34:30 EST 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:01:21AM +1000, Matthew Hawkins wrote:

> Randall Crook said:
> > I also believe that Intel has bought both the IP for the alpha and most
> > of the original alpha development team, so you might find some
> > interesting deviations in future intel 64 bit processors.
>
> If I recall history correctly, Intel did buy the plants from DEC however
> most of the engineers quit beforehand so they weren't forced to work for
> the enemy.  Many went to AMD (hence the Athlon having a very EV6-like
> architecture) and others to TI, and other places.

The way I've heard it told, a goodly chunk of the Alpha engineers
went to AMD (the ones that could stomach working on x86) and the
remainder were then acquired by Intel along with the intellectual
property when Compaq was having a fire sale. A number of Alpha
engineers /are/ working on Itanic now, and have been for a while -
this might explain why Itanic 2 doesn't suck quite so badly . . .

I believe you can also get Alpha CPUs from Samsung - they had some
kind of licensing deal. Only problem is, they don't have the IP
rights or the engineers, so they can't continue the development.
Sadly, Alpha is dead, despite being technically the best processor
available for most of the last ten years.

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or http://himi.org/stuff/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://himi.org