[clug] Set TCP window size for specific incoming protocols?

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Tue Sep 16 20:12:37 EST 2003

"Brian Morris" <brian at netspeed.com.au> writes:

> I havent tested this myself but could that also increase your downloads from
> your ISP?  The ISP usually measures data sent from their NAS to you.  If you
> simply drop the packet, protocols would ensure it is sent again - but to the
> ISP they are sending it twice - the fact that you dropped the first one may
> not mean your not billed for it.

It would depend on how the ISP meters the traffic, I guess. And
because packets are being dropped, the incoming packet rate would
slow, so it's not as if you would be throwing away large amounts of
your traffic allowance.

It's definitely a consideration if you're concerned about the amount
of traffic you have available, though.

Michael, regarding adjusting the window size by protocol - this is a
bit of a stab in the dark - but would it be possible to use the
iptables mangling features to adjust the advertised window on the
outgoing packets?

Cheers,
--
Damien Elmes