[clug] Set TCP window size for specific incoming protocols?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Sep 16 19:47:06 EST 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Damien Elmes wrote:

> I've no experience with varying the window size directly to achieve
> throttling, but have used the linux QoS tools before:

[snip helpful example]

> As far as I know, this just throws away packets when the incoming rate
> is too high, resulting in your ISP having to resend packets, which
> slows down the stream in the process.

Yeah, the bit that bothers me about that is that the packet has already
traversed the slow link by the time the filter can drop it, which means
you see some traffic twice. I'll file this away as a possibility though.

Thanks,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,