[clug] Opensource legislation in ACT

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Tue Sep 16 11:18:07 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:56:59AM +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:

> Now here is some text from the bill.  I'm a bit unhappy about the definition of proprietary software as "not open source" also slightly worried about the definition of open source software or maybe it's the emphasis on licensing rather than standards.  Lets leave the US spelling for now.

Why not use the OSI definition of Open Source which is what everyone
else does:

http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php

I don't see anything in the definition of open source in the bill that
you have to distribute the source code when you distribute the
software.  Perhaps there is some text not quoted that is relevant.

Tim.