[clug] Re: mail from Fatima Iyesa Ismiana (now very OT, sorry)

Andrew Over Andrew.Over at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 15 09:28:55 EST 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:17:06AM +1000, Samuel Birbeck wrote:

> No doubt! And I would have relied on it myself if my connection to the
> internet was happening... But I'm a poor student, living on campus at
> the ANU, and while I am still able to access the internal network (and
> thus my uni email account), I'm not going to be Googling or doing
> anything else on the web until I fork over more of my Centrelink
> allowance to the hall. $10 gets me 83.3mb of download credit. Does
> anyone have any idea how this compares to what it actually costs the
> uni per meg? I'm assuming someone here has something to do with DOI at
> the uni - perhaps not!

Well, according to more googling (heh), AARNET charge $22.50/Gb, while
your hall charges $120 (I think they use the Maxtor definition of Gb
based on the roundness of their numbers).  So there's a 433% markup in
there somewhere.

Incidentally, I believe mirror.aarnet costs 1/4 of that, so it's even
worse :-P

Yay for price gouging and infrastructure duopolies!

--Andrew