[clug] Excellent article on GPL and IP

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Thu Sep 11 13:05:32 EST 2003

Richard wrote:

>Quoting Matthew Hawkins <matt at mh.dropbear.id.au>:
>

>>Quick!  Phone Indonesia, that poor guy is going to get the death penalty
>>for blowing people up when its obvious the real culprit are the people who
>>got blown up - if they weren't there in the first place, he wouldn't have
>>had to provide that Islamic community service!
>>

>Hmmm... Been awhile since I weighed into a CLUG argument; maybe I should wait until the
>alcopops wear off... Not likely.
>
>Let's begin with the "it's a joke" argument. I think we can all figure out that Jeremy's taking
>the piss, all you have to do is take account of his rather oblique sense of humour and you're
>there. Obviously a bit oblique for the previous respondent; to say nothing of my own ham
>fisted interpretations.

Woohoo!  Drunken newsgroup posting!  I'll be right with you (chugs a
bottle of ginger beer).

Actually I had a mental picture of some guy in a darkened room, crowded
by boxes of pills, frantically signing up to websites to meet special
friends, and rushing to the door every five minutes to see if his
shipment of gold bullion from Nigeria has arrived.

He didn't look like Matt, but that's mainly because I assumed both
perpitrators and victims of spam are mostly American, and will continue
to be until the spammers start sending messages titled "Free Beer".
Then I'll be clicking every link that hits my inbox.

And now to relate this post back to Linux:

Eric Raymond:  I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck.

Richard Stallman:  Any software that isn't free sucks.

Linus Torvalds:  I'm interested in free beer.

Richard Stallman:  That's okay, as long as I don't have to drink it.  I
don't like beer.