[clug] kernel 2.6.0 build has all symbols unresolved

Simon Fowler simon at private.himi.org
Wed Sep 10 09:31:14 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:01:55PM +1000, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> I decided to try and build (-test5) and once it got to the end
> the 'depmod -ae' produces a very long error report that starts with

<snippage>
> and goes on with over 8,000 lines.
>
> I checked versions in Documentation/Changes and I believe I comply.
>
> What gives?

Firstly, make sure you're using the latest version of
module-init-tools - I think there were some changes around 2.5.74
that meant that versions older than 0.9.11 or so wouldn't work
(Rusty would know for sure, of course ;-)

Secondly, unless you've actually booted into the new kernel, make
sure you point depmod at the right System.map (via depmod -F), since
otherwise it won't have a clue what the modules are on about.

It's a good idea to install the System.map into /boot, as well - on
any Debian system /after/ woody make install in the kernel tree
should do everything you need . . .

And I can't think of anything else without having some coffee ;-)

Good luck!

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or http://himi.org/stuff/himi.asc