[clug] kernel 2.6.0 build has all symbols unresolved

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Wed Sep 10 07:02:48 EST 2003

Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:
> I decided to try and build (-test5) and once it got to the end
> the 'depmod -ae' produces a very long error report that starts with
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in

[ ... ]

> What gives?

Have you booted that kernel yet? I think depmod looks at the running
kernel to try to resolve symbols in modules. If you're running a modern
distribution, it'll run depmod during the boot process and resolve those
symbols once the appropriate kernel is running.

Make sure you keep your old kernel around, just in case it doesn't work
right. ;)
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org